Friday, October 24, 2008

Fudgy Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies

I saw this recipe on http://www.tastespotting.com/ and it was submitted by http://www.sophistimom.com/. She said that it was really easy to make and that it was not at all difficult. So I thought I'd give it a try, so during my lunch break today I decided to give it a go. I am not over exaggerating here, but it only took me 90 minutes from the second I collected the ingredients till I took out the baking dish out of the oven to complete this recipe. It really tastes devine and it definately worth trying out! I just didn't swirl it that much.


Fudgy Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies


For the brownie part:

1/2 cup (8 tablespoons or 110g) unsalted butter

1 12 ounce (340g) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (I like Guittard or Ghriadelli)

1 1/4 cups (275g) sugar

3/4 teaspoon salt

3 large eggs, at room temperature

3/4 cup (110g) unbleached all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

For the cream cheese part:

1 8 ounce (225g) package cream cheese, at room temperature

1/2 cup (110g) sugar

1 large egg

pinch salt

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour


1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees (165 degrees Celsius). Line bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Place butter and 1 1/2 cups (255g) chocolate chips in a medium microwave safe bowl. (Reserve the other 1/2 cup [85g] chips for later.) Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave for thirty second intervals, stirring after each, until completely melted.
3. Whisk in sugar and salt until smooth; whisk in eggs and vanilla. Gently fold in flour just until smooth (do not over mix). Fold in remaining 1/2 cup (85g) chocolate chips
4. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Set aside.
5. Microwave cream cheese in a small bowl for 30 seconds. Whisk in sugar, egg, salt, vanilla, and flour. Pour over chocolate mixture. Take a spoon and pull chocolate mixture up from the bottom of the pan in about 4 or 5 different places and then, with a spoon or knife, create a swirled effect.
6. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Allow to cool completely in pan. (After about 45 minutes, I toss mine in the freezer for 30 minutes to help it along. This will also help solidify the chocolate chips, giving the brownies a nice crunch.)
7. Use parchment paper to lift from pan; peel off and discard. Cut into 16 squares.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The cookies look divine, i really enjoy the setting of the picture and the background of it...looks so homy to me.
agata

Anonymous said...

Thanks for trying my brownies. I'm so glad they worked out so quickly for you. Great picture!