It is also the the No.1 take-out/take-away food on the Island and is what hamburgers are to the USA. When people don't order souvlakia for take-out, most will prepare souvlakia over the weekend and invite friends or family over to enjoy this delicious food. Even though everybody prepares souvlakia in a slightly different way, the overall preparation is pretty much the same. My secret is adding the spice Sumac, that gives the souvlakia just that slightly different taste than the norm, and I also marinate them for a few hours in a mixture of soy sauce and olive oil.
- 1.5 kg of pork belly cut into bite size cubes
- 2 tomatoes cut into cubes
- 2 large green peppers cut into cube
- 1 large onion cut into pieces
- 1 eggplant cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp sumac spice
- salt according to taste
- In a bowl mix cubed meat, olive oil and sauce sauce.
- Then sprinkle sumac all over the meat and again mix well.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and let it marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Put the meat on skewers with onion, eggplant, peppers or tomatoe in between the meat and cook over charcoal for 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with finely chopped fresh parsley and some lemon juice if you wish.